How To Play
Introduce your little one to the concept of time, directions, seasons, weather, months, date, days and years with this quiet book.
Cover Page - Compass Rose
Compass Rose to understand the orientation of the cardinal directions.
How to proceed on this page:
1) Button and Unbutton Arrow - Fine motor practice
2) Introduce the words North South East West to the child and teach them to associate the words with initials N, S, E, W
3) Start off simple - show the child how to find North. Then move the arrow to show other directions.
4) Graduate to intercardinal directions.
5) Handover a real compass rose :)
Page 1 and 2- Seasons
A single tree to sort, create and recreate seasons - Summer, Spring, Autumn and Winter.
While going through the activity with them, you can say- "the season is summer, in summer the trees are green and they grow a lot of fruits". And so on.
Page 3 - Clock for Telling Time
Schedules and Time is something that is an important aspect of a child's everyday life. And the best way to introduce the concept of time, telling time, is to do it gradually through play and interaction which is what this page intends to do.
"What time will mumma/papa come home?", "Is it bed time?" and their several other curious questions will be fun to answer with this play o'clock page.
Start with introductory lessons:
1) Types of hands - short and long
2) There are 24 hours in a day
3) 12 o’clock on clock face and 60 minutes in one hour
4) the direction in which hands move
5) identifying numbers 1- 12
Graduate to :
1) identifying numbers 0 -60
2) counting in 5s for 5 minute interval and the one to one correspondence (1-5, 2-10, 3-15)
3) words - present, past, half past, quarter to, quarter past , am, pm, afternoon
4) fractions that will help learn time better
Page 4, 5, 6 - Calendar
Included in this book is also an interactive calendar kit to introduce the child to the concept of years, months, days, date and weather.
Start off by simply saying something like: “It’s October already. This month is October”. Then, let your little one place the piece on the calendar. Repeat this for day, date and year.
You can also use this calendar to prepare the child for an important outing or event. For example, showing them the dates and telling them how they will begin going to school after the holidays and so on. You can also tell them how some months have 30, 31 and 28 days and then invite them to place the correct date on the calendar as you say the date.
Tracking the weather with your child can be so much fun! Observe the weather each day to decide if its sunny, cloudy, windy, rainy, snowy or hey do you see a rainbow?
Easy to carry, you can get your child to take this along with them on trips, have a journal (not part of the quiet book) of their own that they could scribble or doodle in and store in the zipper pocket at the back.
All of the parts of this book are handmade. The zipper pocket at the end is a place for everything so there aren't loose pieces to keep track of when putting them away.